Wednesday, September 10, 2014

MISS INDEPENDENT

Being a stay-at-home mom is seriously the hardest, most demanding job I've ever had.  Though I've never had to perform an amputation in the middle of a war zone, I have taught public high school in inner city New Orleans, so I do have some experience with a stressful work environment.  For the first 9 1/2 months of Violet's life, she demanded 100% of my attention 100% of the time.  I read a lot books.  I played music.  We danced.  I talked in stupid silly voices.  We would go for walks when it wasn't below freezing (thanks coldest winter in history) or three thousand degrees out.  And basically everything else you might normally do in your day, except it took around thirty-seven times longer to do because I had her in one arm.  To some people I might sound like a lady of leisure, but I also nursed her 6+ times a day, changed her diaper at least 8 times (I don't even want to talk poop stories), barely got to take a shower until she started taking longer naps, and often realized I walked around all day with baby vomit on my shoulder without even realizing it.  And y'all, baby vomit smells. 


Then she learned to walk, and life as I knew it became intensely easier. 




Now-a-days Violet practically runs from room to room, behind the couch, around the table, in her room, in my room, in the bathroom, in the closet.  She never stays in one place long.  She's like a nomad.



She definitely gets into things.  As you can see above, she's caught red-handed (not that she cares) breaking into the spice cabinet.  She's quick to let us know what we need to baby proof.  

The best part about this age is Violet is playing independently.  Her current favorite toys are her fox, Playskool Busy Gears, O Happy Day Play-a-Song book, LeapFrog Sing and Play Farm, and her Fischer-Price Musical Activity Walker that she doesn't actually walk with, but loves pressing the buttons to hear the music.  The girl LOVES to dance.  When any music is playing, I sing her a song, or Jon plays his guitar for her, she dances.  I even see her bobbing her head in the car when we listen to her Sunday School Sing-Along CD.  Talk about adorable.

For me, her new independence means I don't have to rush to prepare dinner while she's napping.  It may not sound like much, but when you've had as much red beans and rice as we've had, you definitely appreciate a little variety in the dinner menu.




We are desperate for some fall weather so we can go outside more!  Goodbye and good riddance, summer!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment